Laureate Shelties Blog

A bit of this, a bit of that...with a lot of free spirits.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Poodle Grooming 101

I travelled to Syracuse with Bunny for the weekend to attend a grooming seminar given by Alan Waterman, a well known Poodle handler. It was a two day workshop, with the first day devoted to the puppy trim.

This was the puppy used for the demonstration. She'd never been scissored before...This is pretty much the after photo...showing how to emphasize angulation in rear, to cut in the loin and belly area and also the neck and front legs. Alan did one side of her, and then we had to work on our puppies.
The following day concentrated on showing us how to put a Poodle into "pattern". In this case, the continental clip. Poodles must be shown in either the continental clip or the english saddle clip once they turn a year old. This girl had her birthday the week before, so she had to get her "big girl" trim. Roughing in the clip. and making the front bracelet...Alan starts off by making the pom-pom on the hip square and will round off the edges later.

The reasoning behind the elastics on the topknot are to keep the long hair away from the dogs mouth and eyes. This hair is later held with elastics and hairsprayed up to give height. The hair on the ears are likewise protected, but they go further by wrapping the hair and folding it up, so it doesn't drag on the ground, or get chewed off by the dog.

I didn't get any photos of Bunny at the seminar, and I joked she'd be coming home in a continental clip, but decided I needed the practice with scissoring. So it took me two days, and her hair kept getting shorter and shorter trying to even out the chop marks! Oops!!!
I just put her on the deck a few moments ago to show her new "do". A bit radical...and went a bit too short, but the good thing about hair is, it grows!


4 comments:

Mont'Alves March 23, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

I was so very anxious to see the result.
Well done Kim, congratulations.
It you need to practise you know you have my friend poodle to work on :)

Shannalee, Akadia Shelties March 23, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

Very nice job Kim. Scissoring takes years to master but I can tell you have a natural knack for it. I started in St. Poodles and worked for a poodle handler for years and have great appreciation for it.. I am impressed with how well you are doing!! :)

Diana March 24, 2009 at 7:14 AM  

I didnt know they have grooming semiars. So they have grooming seminars for Shelties. How would I find out about them. Thanks, Diana

Laureate March 24, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

Thanks...I had some help. It wasn't easy...I was having trouble holding the scissors the right way, and in the end, decided I had to hold them in the way that was *right* for me.

Diana, there are Sheltie grooming seminars given all the time. Best to check with your local Sheltie club, or go to Shelties Online. There are often seminars advertised there.

I missed one the same weekend in Carp (fifteen minutes from our house) that I would have loved to have gone to.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels


MBPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Immortality 7 x Best Puppy in Show, Currently Canada's Top Sheltie Puppy for 2011

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Louisiana ASSA - BOS, AOM; CSSA - BOB

BIS/BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Starlight Express Canada's Top Sheltie, #1 in Herding Group 1995

BPIS Laureate Epitome

BPIG Am/Can Ch Laureate Jivara

BPIS Ch Laureate Embelish

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Santana ROMC

BISS Am/Can Ch Krystalyn Windswept

Ch Laureate PaRay Per Se

Ch Laureate Landslide ROMC

BIS Am/Can Ch Laureate Laredo ROMC

BPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Dominatrix

Ch Laureate Lutece

Frequent Visitors

Join us on Facebook

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP