Laureate Shelties Blog

A bit of this, a bit of that...with a lot of free spirits.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Adoration

What a wonderful feeling to be adored. To have someone or some furry someone think the sun rises and sets on you. Anyone who has had a special pet knows what I am talking about. I am fortunate to be on the receiving end of such love and devotion. While most of the dogs are very fond of me, Gabi is my shadow. Wherever I am, she is, and preferably where she can keep her eye on me. Several years ago we decided to take a trip to Alabama. It was a two day trip of solid driving. Gabi sat on my lap in the front seat the entire time! I had a blanket on my lap to keep her legs from falling off...she was so comfortable she would fall fast asleep! When I was at the dog show, and in the ring with another, Pete said she pined for me and wouldn't settle, she was pulling at the leash to get to me. She loves me so much, she'd rather I didn't talk to any of the others...I have to reasure her that she is the MOST special of all!

Gabi has a bed upstairs in the office where she'll keep watch over me, one in the TV room and then at bedtime she's by my bedside. I recently gave her a new donut bed by the window, where she can see me in bed. This is now her favorite spot to sleep. When I wake up, she meets my gaze with a smile on her face. How fortunate I am! I was reminded today that she is 13 years old, so I count every day with her as a bonus. Having dogs reminds us to live in the moment and to value the preciousness of time spent with those we love. Not a bad thing to remember.

3 comments:

Julie October 23, 2008 at 12:01 AM  

I have photo of Gabi and myself at work. I look so happy everybody makes fun of me. "Julie, you look too happy taking picture with some else's dog!' Gabi has such a wonderful smile on her face in the photo.
Thank you for the updates. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Christina Chong November 3, 2008 at 8:27 PM  

What a lovely description and photo. Any Sheltie owner would understand what you mean. I lost Pecan a few days ago, my only remaining Shelite from kidney failure after a very short stay in Tampa and your post on Gabi touch my heart. Pecan was like Gabi who never left my side, who watches me wherever I go. During the final week of her life, eventhough she didn't have the strength to follow me, she gazes at me from afar with her eyes and tries her best to be proud and happy even as she falters in health. The true spirit of the Sheltie, loyal and adoring of their family members.

Laureate November 11, 2008 at 10:08 AM  

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved "Pecan". I hope, when you are ready, you consider opening your heart to another Sheltie.

Kim

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels


MBPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Immortality 7 x Best Puppy in Show, Currently Canada's Top Sheltie Puppy for 2011

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Louisiana ASSA - BOS, AOM; CSSA - BOB

BIS/BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Starlight Express Canada's Top Sheltie, #1 in Herding Group 1995

BPIS Laureate Epitome

BPIG Am/Can Ch Laureate Jivara

BPIS Ch Laureate Embelish

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Santana ROMC

BISS Am/Can Ch Krystalyn Windswept

Ch Laureate PaRay Per Se

Ch Laureate Landslide ROMC

BIS Am/Can Ch Laureate Laredo ROMC

BPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Dominatrix

Ch Laureate Lutece

Frequent Visitors

Join us on Facebook

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP