Laureate Shelties Blog

A bit of this, a bit of that...with a lot of free spirits.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Reminiscing: Morgan and Shelagh

When I was sixteen years old, I worked for my Mom and my friends parents one summer cleaning house. I think I made about $2 a day and put it in a shoebox. I loved counting all my money, as I had a goal in mind; I was going to buy a dog! I researched the breeds and decided I wanted a big dog, one that would jump up and slurp my face...something our Sheltie Dusty couldn't do (being too small, and too dignified to do any face slurping). So we went to a local breeder and chose a male puppy, which I named "Tristan". Sadly Tristan was killed on the road at a year of age, and I was absolutely distraught. My parents where very upset also, and so we called the breeder, Margaret Bocking, and she was very gracious to let us have Tristan's litter sister...this was special to me, as they had been born on my birthday.
So Shelagh (pronounced Sheila) came home and we loved her from day one. She was so sweet, and much easier to live with than her brother had been, so it eased the grief of losing him. She was a quirky girl, was afraid of vacuum cleaners and if riding in a car, she had to travel up front on the floor on the passenger side. It didn't matter where she started, or if there was someone sitting up front...they had to move their legs to let her curl up in front. She didn't like to see where she was going, and would stress pant the entire time. She loved squirrels, and could hear mice under the snow and would pounce on the snow. She loved to hunt...it was instinctual. Her registered name was Ch Grianan Keltic Shelagh, CD (dog world award).
One of the conditions of sale was Shelagh had to be bred and the breeder had the pick puppy back. I was able to choose the sire and raise the puppies and it was a real learning experience! Margaret chose a puppy as her pick, and I chose "Morgan" as one I'd like to keep. She is shown finishing here in 1983. Her name was Ch Grianan Morgan...as I didn't have a kennel name at the time. I did register a kennel name with CKC for my second litter, and that kennel name was Spiritrock.

I had this photo in my bedroom at home. Shelagh doing her "Bambi" impression!
Both Shelagh and Morgan passed away the same year (1986)...the year we bought our first home. We wanted another dog, but didn't have a fenced yard at that time (a necessity with the Gordons). So in 1987 we got our first Sheltie show prospect, and the rest as they say, is history.

5 comments:

Natasha January 13, 2010 at 6:00 PM  

I love stories about how people started out in the dog world :) Like you said, what a great learning experience that must have been when you bred your first litter, and I'm sure it must have been really exciting! Thanks for sharing.

~Nat

Acadia Shelties January 14, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

Yes, I too enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing.
Cadie

anamchara1 January 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM  

What beautiful dogs! You look so natural presenting them ... great story and pics.

Unknown January 16, 2010 at 1:17 AM  

Thanks for sharing your story. It's lovely and I too enjoyed reading it.

Natalie January 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM  

Thanks for the story, makes me miss my Gordon. They are handfuls, but so loving. Love to see how you got started.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels


MBPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Immortality 7 x Best Puppy in Show, Currently Canada's Top Sheltie Puppy for 2011

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Louisiana ASSA - BOS, AOM; CSSA - BOB

BIS/BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Starlight Express Canada's Top Sheltie, #1 in Herding Group 1995

BPIS Laureate Epitome

BPIG Am/Can Ch Laureate Jivara

BPIS Ch Laureate Embelish

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Santana ROMC

BISS Am/Can Ch Krystalyn Windswept

Ch Laureate PaRay Per Se

Ch Laureate Landslide ROMC

BIS Am/Can Ch Laureate Laredo ROMC

BPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Dominatrix

Ch Laureate Lutece

Frequent Visitors

Join us on Facebook

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP