Laureate Shelties Blog

A bit of this, a bit of that...with a lot of free spirits.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

183,789

Who knew when I started our website in 2002 that we'd have so many visitors. Yesterday was the anniversary of its launch (and my Dad's birthday also...Happy Birthday!). The site today looks quite a bit different from the version in '02. That one had brown buttons I had made online and had a green faux leather textured background. It had good pictures, that I'll say for it. But terrible design. This was the first index page photo.

Holly and three of her Am/Can offspring..."painted" in Photoshop .

As corny as it was, I was proud of it, because I had done it myself. You see, Pete was going to do it for me. Pete is the computer wiz. He has lived and breathed computers since they came into being. He understood how to design a website. To me it was mysterious. So Pete said to me,"write down the words". So I did. He didn't think I'd be done so quickly, so he said, "scan the photos". And I did that. "Organize the headings", and once again I brought him that. But Pete was busy. I waited. And waited. A year, and then another. Finally I saw a course for web design at a local high school and I enrolled. It was short, only four Saturday mornings and I drove across town anxious to begin. I sat at the front of the class, all set to put my words and my photos online and have a website, sort of like this blog...if Google blogger had been around then. Type, insert pictures, done...right? Not quite.

So the instructor introduced himself and then started writing code. HTML what was THAT? That wasn't what I wanted. I wanted the course that showed you where to put your pictures and how to put your words underneath.

After the first class I twiddled my thumbs and had a very bad attitude. The second class was about the same. I told the instructor that this course wasn't quite what I thought it would be...I was a right brained person, and this seemed more like math. He laughed. He suggested I just copy some coding to familiarize myself with the symbols.

He then told us about hexidecimal codes which are a six unit coding for all colors. He instructed us to make a page of a different color, and he showed us the coding for that and the list of some possible colors. So I made a page black.....wow!

That wasn't so hard.

Then we were shown the method for linking pages...and our homework was to make a page with three links. Well, something happened that class and the lightbulb went off and I went home and made 48 pages! By the end of the fourth week, the site was up and running and I had a guest book.

It was great to figure out that HTML wasn't really math at all, just a new language to learn.

It has been a fun exercise and a great learning experience. I am still figuring things out and I would like to take more courses to become more proficient.

I'm glad Pete was busy. I needed the push.

7 comments:

Windsor Shelties February 19, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

You have a beautiful blog, keep up the great work.

Cool Design Shelties February 19, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

Boths your website and blog are very beautiful....you have done well in the webdesigner course :o)

//Bente

Julie February 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

Your blog and website site are very special and beautiful just like your Shelites.

Today my friend gave me a bumper sticker. It says: 'My Shelie Is Smarter Than Your Honor Student". I just love it!

Jan van der Meijden February 20, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Hy, You have a very nice website and blog! You became a realy webdesigner :) hihihi.

but all is very nice! keep it up.

Lovely greetings from the Netherlands,
Jan van der Meijden.

Acadia Shelties February 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

Hi Kim,
Thanks for this post. I guess I need the "push" to learn how to update my website. My blog just sort of took it's place since I have been told over and over that I need to learn HTML to do the website and I just don't really have the time to learn a new language.
I will someday (hopefully soon). Your website is a really nice one and you do a great job at keeping it updated too.
Cadie

Lacewood Shelties February 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM  

Hi Kim,
I loved this story. It is very similar to mine except I took online classes. I have really enjoyed learning to do websites. I have a LOT to learn, but there is a satisfaction in knowing that you did it isn't there!! You've done a beautiful job. You have an eye for it. I sure enjoy both your site and your blog. Keep up the good work!!

Laureate February 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

I still love doing our site, even after seven years. But I think blogging will take the place of websites soon. They are so easy to do...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels


MBPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Immortality 7 x Best Puppy in Show, Currently Canada's Top Sheltie Puppy for 2011

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Louisiana ASSA - BOS, AOM; CSSA - BOB

BIS/BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Starlight Express Canada's Top Sheltie, #1 in Herding Group 1995

BPIS Laureate Epitome

BPIG Am/Can Ch Laureate Jivara

BPIS Ch Laureate Embelish

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Santana ROMC

BISS Am/Can Ch Krystalyn Windswept

Ch Laureate PaRay Per Se

Ch Laureate Landslide ROMC

BIS Am/Can Ch Laureate Laredo ROMC

BPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Dominatrix

Ch Laureate Lutece

Frequent Visitors

Join us on Facebook

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP